6/27/11

Kombucha Tea

My mother goes through weird health phases (like mother like daughter, right?). She's gone from buying THREE detox machines, turning my room into a "spa" when I went away to school, putting "Greens Plus" into virtually all our food, we even have a massage therapist come into our house 3 times a week to keep her sane.... and now she's on to her latest obsession: Kombucha Tea.

Kombucha Tea is a Japanese drink that has been used for centuries for medical purposes. It contains acidic bacteria and yeast. Apparently it even helped cure Ronald Reagen of cancer. And if that doesn't sell you on the idea, Lindsay Lohan also swears by it. In fact, every time her alcohol bracelet goes off she blames it on the very small amount of alcohol Kombucha contains (no wonder my mother likes it!).

You can buy this drink commercially, or make it at home if you have a lot of time!

Here's a picture of it fermenting (it takes weeks to make!!!).

My mom put me on this "Kombucha Craze" yesterday when I started my "15 days of Fitness", so I'll let you know if it actually works....